School: North Florida; Class: Redshirt Sophomore
Position: CF/RF; B/T: L/L
Height: 6-0; Weight: 180
Previously Drafted: N/A
Background: Let’s ignore the fact that Dewees plays at a less-than-stellar school for moment. Here’s the lengthy list of accolades he’s garnered:
- Atlantic Sun Conference All-Freshman
- All-Atlantic Sun Conference
- Perfect Game All-Freshman
- Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American
- 2014 Atlantic Sun Preseason All-Conference Team
- 2015 Atlantic Sun Preseason All-Conference Team
- Perfect Game Atlantic Sun Preseason Player of the Year
- Atlantic Sun First Team All-Conference
- Golden Spikes Award Semifinalist
- Dick Howser Trophy Semifinalist
- Atlantic Sun All-Tournament Team
- Louisville Slugger First Team All-American
Dewees burst onto the scene as a true freshman for the Ospreys, hitting a robust .347/.429/.535 with 19 doubles, three triples, and five homeruns. He carried that momentum over into his follow campaign – .319/.385/.447 – before a broken wrist ended his season after just 12 games. Once healthy he starred in Cape Cod that summer, mashing to the tune of .340/.430/.473.
This season Dewees upped the ante even further: through his first 60 games, the center fielder is slugging .422/.483/.749 with 12 doubles, eight triples, and 18 homeruns.
Projection: Obviously North Florida’s level of competition doesn’t stack up to an elite team like LSU or UCLA, but Dewees’ production in the Cape last summer helps alleviate some of those concerns. Solid plate discipline, surprising power, and speed. If Dewees can stick in center field – which isn’t a certainty – he could become one of the better prospects in this year’s draft class. Otherwise, he’s a strong candidate to be a better-than-average regular.
Ceiling: 3.0-win player
Floor: 1.5-win player
Grade: Mid-First Round
Photo Courtesy of unfspinnaker.com.